- 1 Lb Flank Steak
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion, Minced
- 1/2 Cup Red Bell Pepper, Minced
- 1 Cup Plum Tomato, Minced
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 Large Garlic Clove, Minced
- 3/4 Cup Manzanilla Olives, Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Carrot, Minced
- 1 Egg, Beaten
- 15 Empanada Dough Disks
- Place the flank steak in the large sauce pan. Cover with water to 1 inch above the steak, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover, letting simmer for 1 hour. The steak should become very tender and pull apart easily. Transfer the steak to a plate and shred the meat, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a small sauce pan until it begins to bubble. Remove the oil and steep for 10 minutes. Strain into Dutch Oven and place over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, cooking for 2 minutes. Add tomato, cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic. Cook for two minutes and add steak, olives, and carrots. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove heat and cook on medium heat until almost all liquid evaporates. Remove from heat and cool overnight,
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with DuraChef® Non-Stick Baking Sheet.
- Combine 1 Tsp. of water and egg in a small bowl. Divide cold filling into 15 portions. Moisten edges of dough disks with egg mixture and place filling in center. Fold the dough over the filling to form a half-moon shape. Gently press edges between thumb and index finger to form a border. Use a fork to crimp the border to seal edges. Repeat for each empanada and place on baking sheets.
- Brush tops of empanadas with egg mixture. Bake for 23 minutes in oven. Rotate pan halfway through baking for an even cook.